Friday, January 30, 2009

My Peer Review Reflection

I learned several things from reading other people’s papers concerning effective argumentation strategies. I read my partner’s paper fully through to get an overview. Then I reread the paper again and this time looking for persuasive writing techniques, including style, arrangement, logos, pathos, ethos, and kairos, in his paper, as well as the techniques described about his visual in the paper. In doing all this, I fully realized that I had a good understanding of what the techniques were, and that I knew how to apply them to my writing in an effective manner. One of the best ways to completely learn how to do something is to actually try to teach it to someone else. I was able to point out to my partner that he should group his aspects under specific paragraphs pertaining to that technique. Furthermore, I showed him how to make effective transitions from one paragraph to another, using transition words and linking topics. When an author is writing an essay, a paper, or a book, it is so easy to leave out words that they may have meant to put in. Some of these words are very crucial to the meaning of a sentence and they get over-read because the writer is thinking they meant to write word. Also, it is common for a writer to mis-communicate what they are trying to convey. The style, words, and paragraphs of your paper may make sense to you, but will they always make sense to a reader? This exercise demonstrated to me just how useful peer revision can be, and the constructive criticism that can improve your writing is a definite positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment